Vegan Chocolate Ripple Cake: Cake Hack


After discovering that Arnotts Chocolate Ripple Cookies were vegan (and used sustainable palm oil), I had to buy a pack. Then my boyfriend told me about an amazing cake made with these biscuits: cream is layered with the biscuits, set in the fridge overnight, and the next morning you have cake! Ah, the wonders of food hacks. Oh, and IT TASTES AMAZING! It is up there with my favourite ever vegan recipes, even if it full of sugar. It even pleases the non-vegans.

So how did I veganize the recipe? Simply used cashew cream; I figured coconut cream would have too strong a flavour and soy cream might taste weird. Cashew cream is loved by all and is a neutral flavour, and is more likely to be enjoyed by non-vegans who might not be used to coconut cream or hate soy for some reason.

Now, this recipe really is an Australian thing, with these chocolate biscuits available only, to my knowledge, in Australia (though America might have some, I am not sure). But, I think the idea can easily be applied to other vegan biscuits. If you want it gluten free, why not try Leda's chocolate chip cookies instead? Oreo's might work too if you remove the filling. The possibilities are endless! I suggest you either make your own chocolate cookies (but effort) or you find a vegan chocolate cookie that is available in your country, and buy a pack!

Prep, 15 minutes + overnight refrigeration.

Serves 10-11 people.

You will need:

250 g vegan chocolate cookies (I used Chocolate Ripple)
2 cups soaked cashews
1 cup water
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
dash salt

+  desired toppings.

Method:

1. Add all ingredients for cream in a food processor or high speed blender. I put my vitamix on 10 then on high to get it to a super smooth consistency.
2. Now, layer your biscuits! Place cream on a plate, then sandwich cookies with cream, lay down on the cream on plate. Once all cookies have been sandwiched with cream and ordered in desired layout, cover entire cake in cream. You will have some left. Save this to cover when serving.
3. Place in the fridge overnight.
4. Your cream will go a delicious chocolate colour, so just add some more cashew cream before serving!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images