Melbourne Adventures: A Food Diary

"Original Mini Burger" from Lord of the Fries
Though this blog is an ice-cream blog, last week I spent four days in Melbourne and I decided to share my findings here. I was a little anxious at first, wondering what on earth I was going to eat (I have come to dread eating out because of the difficulties of finding vegan options on a typical menu), but I did manage to find some cute and delicious places! I apologize for the quality of the images, all photos were taken with my iPhone.

1. Lord of the Fries.

This is a fast food vegetarian restaurant, with numerous gluten-free and vegan options available, including such things as cheese and mayonnaise. With numerous locations across Melbourne (and one in Sydney!), and the ease of ordering a delicious vegan meal with no fuss, I found myself eating here no less than five times. The burgers come in two sizes (mini and large) and are so delicious, especially the "Original Burger" (see top photo), that no words can describe it, except for perhaps "mmmmmm" and "oh my god this is so delicious." I also tried the vegan "Chicken Burger" and "Coney Island Hotdog", but the "Original Burger" still remains my favourite. If you are ordering fries, the London Sauce and French Canadian with Vegan Cheese are well worth a try.

2. Dymocks Cafe on Collins Street

Originally I went to the Dymocks Cafe because I knew they had vegan cupcakes. However, when I got there, asking which were the vegan options, they had vegan pies and so many other delicious meal options, that I ended up ordering a vegan "cheesy" pie with salad, as well as a cupcake. The pie was by far the best vegan pie I have ever had, with a creamy sauce and chunks of marinated tofu, and the salad was pretty damn good as well. The cupcakes were a little crumby, but still so yummy! I had a peanut butter cupcake on the first day, and I came back the next day to get a apple pie cupcake! So delicious. The cafe itself is situated in a little corner of the bookshop, which is cute and adorable, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

"Mister Nice Guy" Peanut Butter cupcake from the Dymocks Cafe.
Vegan "Cheesy" Pie from the Dymocks Cafe.
"Mister Nice Guy" vegan apple pie cupcake from the Dymocks cafe.
3. Queen Victoria Markets

I was a little disappointed with the vegan options here. I ordered a soy cap, only to be told they had no soy milk (and it was only 9am in the morning), and when I ordered the black coffee, the beans had been burnt. Even in the food hall, with all delicious baked goods around me, I couldn't find anything that was vegan, even the bagels had milk powder in it, and I felt quite rude asking sellers if their products contained dairy. However, there was a great selection of cheap fresh fruit and produce, and yummy fresh market juices which I would highly recommend. I stocked up on bananas, strawberries and fresh juices which I saved for easy healthy breakfasts. Flowers were also cheap: I got a bunch of roses for only $3.50!

My breakfast with produce from the markets: banana on peanut butter toast, strawberries and watermelon juice.
$3.50 flowers and burnt coffee from the Markets.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images