Vegan Choc-Chip Mint Ice-Cream

So today I did a lot of experimenting: one, I decided to use arrowroot powder in the ice-cream, as it helps to thicken the mixture and soak up the ice-particles that form in the ice-cream. Secondly, I decided to include avocado: for one thing, the ice-cream is mint flavoured and I wanted it to be a beautiful green colour, and moreover, avocado is meant to be a good ice-cream base, like coconut cream and banana, though I have never been brave enough to try it. I am not sure whether it was the arrowroot powder or the avocado, but this turned out to be one of the best ice-creams I have made, from the texture and creamy-ness of the ice-cream. However, I think it needed a bit more mint (fresh or otherwise) in the ice-cream as I found the avocado flavour a bit overpowering. What do you think? Does anyone have any tricks for eliminating the avocado flavour? I'll post the recipe here, but be warned about the strength of the avocado! You might need to tweek the recipe a little.

You will need:

1 x 400 ml can of coconut cream (pour out the water)
1 ripe avocado
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp (or more) or peppermint extract
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp arrowroot powder
1/3 cup vegan choc chips
1/3 cup cacao nibs

optional: green food colouring (if your ice-cream doesn't get that beautiful green colour from the avocado)
1. In a food processor combine all the ingredients, minus the choc chips and cacao nibs. Taste: if it needs more mint, add some until you are happy with the flavour. At this point add some food colouring if you think it needs it.
2. Pour the mix into a metal tray, and stir in the choc chips and cacao nibs. Cover with glad wrap and place in freezer.
3. Stir every 30 minutes until ready to serve.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images