Vegan Eggnog Waffles (Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Oil Free)


A few weeks ago, I started craving eggnog like nothing else. The strange thing is, I had never tried eggnog before at that point, but I couldn't get the scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation out of my head, where Chevy Chase is drinking eggnog out of adorable moose mugs (which you can buy from Urban Outfitters!). So while I have never tried eggnog before, I found a recipe for a vegan version on food52.com. And fell in love! It's thick, creamy, milky, and spicy all at once. So wonderful! However, the batch I made was a little too much for me to drink all by myself, so I decided to be adventurous and make some waffles with the leftover eggnog that I had.

What a call. Eggnog waffles turned out to be seriously awesome. Whilst I used homemade eggnog (buying vegan eggnog, or even eggnog for that matter, in Australia is impossible), I am sure if you are lucky enough to live in America, you could probably use store-purchased vegan eggnog (like Silk) to the same effect.

Serves 1. 

Prep: 5 minutes, Resting: 10 minutes, Cooking: 5 minutes. Total Time: 20 minutes.

You will need:

1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour (or more buckwheat flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
2.5 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup vegan eggnog (alcohol free)
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Plus, maple syrup for serving.

Method:

1. Soak the ground flax seeds in the water for 2 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients,  making sure to sift the flours and baking soda. Let the batter rest for 8-10 minutes while you turn on the waffle iron and let it warm up.
2. Pour the batter into the waffle iron, and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on your waffle maker's instructions. Serve with maple syrup.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images