Vegan Creme Brulee (Gluten Free, Oil Free, Refined Sugar Free)


I have a confession to make. I have only tried creme brulee twice in my life. Once was homemade, and I did not like it. The other was a genuine French creme brulee in a small cafe in the back streets near Notre Dame that was quite nice. This was before my vegan days, of course. I thought, as an egg dominated dish, it would be difficult to make this vegan. I think of it more like a vanillary-coconut pudding or custard with a delicious caramelized top. I think the caramel top is my favourite part to be honest!

Recipe altered from here:

Serves 2.

Total Time: 2 hours


You will need:

150 g full fat coconut cream/milk
1/3 cup water
4 tbsp natvia baking sugar
1 1/2 tbsp egg replacer powder (e.g. Orgran)
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 vanilla bean
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt
plus extra natvia sugar, for the caramelized top

Method:

1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender/food processor. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Transfer mix to a saucepan, and slowly heat up until it starts to simmer and thicken. Once it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, transfer the mix to two small ramekins.
3. Place the ramekins in a water filled casserole dish (water should be about halfway up the side of a ramekin).
4. Bake for 25 minutes. It should jiggle. Set in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Before serving, sprinkle around 1/2-1 tsp of natvia sugar on top of the creme brulee, and use a culinary torch to melt the sugar.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images