Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Donuts (Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)


Hi everyone! Long time no see! Thanks for everyone who has continued checking my page, despite my lack of posting!

But I swear, I have a good excuse.

I am currently nearly 6 months(!) into my Masters thesis, with 4 and a half months to go! Scary stuff. I have still been posting recipes on my instagram, but I am afraid that I have been super lazy about taking good quality photos with a DLSR and posting the recipe up on here. But I took this photo a while ago (it is going to be featured in an upcoming eBook ;) ), so I figured I would get around to posting it on here.

Now, the donuts.

They are perfect. No kidding. I make them all the time. They are even big sister approved. And they are gluten free (without tasting like it), vegan and refined sugar free! Yay! Also, I've been eating refined sugar free for the past 5 months or so, and I feel great! Less headaches, more food, it's wonderful! This means I have thrown out that nasty white sugar, and picked up coconut sugar! I occasionally use natvia/stevia, but my stomach doesn't like it, so coconut sugar tends to dominate. Not to mention that coconut sugar makes things taste like caramel. How can a girl turn down caramel? She can't, that's how.

So, if you need to make something yummy this weekend, look no further than this recipe!


Vegan and Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts

Prep time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 40 minutes.

Makes 6-10 donuts, depending on tin size.

Ingredients:

For the donuts:

1 vegan egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds and 2.5 tbsp water)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp melted vegan margarine
½ cup almond milk
¼ tsp salt
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon

For the cinnamon sugar coating:

1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp melted vegan margarine

Instructions:

1.     Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2.     In a bowl, let the ground flax seeds and water soak for 5 minutes.
3.     Add to the flax egg the coconut sugar, melted margarine, almond milk, and salt. Mix well.
4.     In a separate bowl, sift the buckwheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon together.
5.     Sift this dry mix again into the wet mix gradually, 1/3 cup at a time. Do not over mix.
6.     Scoop the mix into a piping bag, and pipe into a non-stick donut pan.
7.     Bake donuts for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
8.     Let cool for 20 minutes.
9.     For the sugar coating: in a bowl mix together the cinnamon and coconut sugar.
10.  Melt the vegan margarine in a separate bowl.
11.  Lightly brush each donut with margarine, and roll into bowl with the cinnamon sugar, making sure to cover all sides of the donut. Repeat until all donuts are done.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images