Food Review: Vegan-Friendly Cafes in Sydney

Eating out is probably the biggest issue I face as a vegan. However, there are a few cafes that I love, and keep going back to, and after my Melbourne Food Diary, I thought it was about time I did a Sydney one! Again, these photographs are merely from my iPhone, so I apologize for the quality!

1. Sadhana Kitchen, Newtown

Sadhana Kitchen is an organic raw vegan, refined sugar free and gluten free heaven. Everything typically contains some form of superfood (acai, cacao), so really you are getting more bang for your buck. It is incredibly delicious, though the mix of flavours can sometimes be a bit intense, as a friend of mine pointed out. Nevertheless, I love their food, and wish I could eat there daily! My favourite dishes include the raw lasagna and tacos for meals, and tim tams, white chocolate cheezecake and wagon wheels for treats. They also have a variety of cold pressed juices and smoothies! My friend Angela did a review, combined with beautiful photos from her DLSR. See them here.

A series of desserts from Sadhana Kitchen: including a wagon wheel, mango cheezecake and raspberry cheezecake.

2. Heart and Soul Cafe, Cronulla

Cronulla is a bit out of the city, but it is a beautiful location. Heart and Soul is definitely worth the trip too if you can make it. It is an organic vegetarian cafe, but they do have vegan options, you just have to ask at the counter to make sure. I have eaten there twice (both within 4 days of each other!), trying a three-salad wrap with quinoa, beetroot and pumpkin (super delicious), and an acai bowl (equally delicious, if not more so!). For the acai bowl, just make sure you say vegan so that they don't serve it with honey! I also had it with a mango frappe, which went down so well with the scorching heat (34 degrees in September? What is this madness!). You can eat in or takeaway, and everything is reasonably priced (acai bowl was $9.50, triple salad wrap was $11).

 
Acai bowl (without honey) at Heart and Soul cafe, with a mango mint frappe.
Triple Salad Wrap from Heart and Soul Cafe. I got mine as a takeaway to eat it on Cronulla beach with my boyfriend.
3. Earth to Table, Bondi

Like Sadhana, Earth to Table is an organic raw vegan cafe, sugar free and with gluten free options. I tried the felafel salad, which I found rather bland: a few felafel's amongst a sea of lettuce (nothing else) which was covered in a weird oil and made me feel gross after. My friend tried the chili, which was really delicious! I have also tried a caramel cheezecake, which was extremely yummy. Most people I have spoken to agree that the desserts are the best part about Earth to Table. Angela also did a review of Earth to Table (with much better photos) see them here!

Earth to Table: top, felafel salad, and bottom is the chilli.

Other vegan friendly places:

  • China Lane at Angel Place (just ask for the vegan options).
  • Amigos Mexican Restaurant in Wollongong. I know this is wayy out of the city, but it is my favourite restaurant. Hands down. My family loves it, and we typically go here for birthdays and special occasions. For vegan options, just ask! The vegetarian options without dairy are usually vegan. It is typically very popular, so I suggest you book! You can book online too, which is super convenient. 
  • Atom Thai in Newtown. Just ask for vegan options! 
  • Lord of the Fries in Sydney City (near Town Hall station). Again, just ask for your burger/chips to be vegan! They have vegan cheese and mayo alternatives etc.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Flickr Images